Untitled Document

Music On This Site

Courtesy of


Dan Ross and the Salvation Army 06, In the US Army, Waco Corps, Texas

The Salvation Army United States of America
Southern Territory (USA South)
Texas Division
Waco, Texas


March - Army of God

New Jersey Youth Band


Hark, hark my soul what warlike songs are swelling
Through all the land and on from door to door:
How grand the truths those burning strains are telling
Of that great war til sin shall be no more
Salvation Army, Army of God
Onward to conquer the world with fire and blood.

Onward we go, the world shall hear our singing,
Come guilty souls, for Jesus bids you come
And through the dark, its echoes loudly ringing
Shall lead the wretched, lost and wandering home
Salvation Army, Army of God
Onward to conquer the world with fire and blood.

Far, far away, like thunder grandly pealing
We'll send the call for mercy full and free
And burdened souls by thousands humbly kneeling,
Shall yield, Dear Lord, their contrite hearts to thee.
Salvation Army, Army of God
Onward to conquer the world with fire and blood.

Conquerors, at last, though long the fight and dreary,
Bright days shall dawn and sin's dark night be past;
Our battles end in saving sinners weary.
And Satan's Kingdom down shall fall at last.
Salvation Army, Army of God
Onward to conquer the world with fire and blood.

Playing in this band is one of the fondest memories Bonna has of life in New Jersey. She also had a great time playing in the Asbury Park Citadel Band. The Citadel band regularly did open air meetings and concerts for around 50,000 people on the boardwalk in Asbury Park's beach area. The New Jersey Youth Band was very popular and played concerts in some very nice venues.



Hear Great Salvation Army Brass Bands on your computer. While waiting for the music to start, scroll down the page to read my history with the Salvation Army.




 This whole period of time is covered in the webpages about my wife. You may read all about my Waco experience by going to those pages by clicking on:

"Meet my wonderful wife, Bonna."

Previous: Fayetteville..........Next: Seattle 2

Back to the Radiant Crest


 Visit Salvationist.org. Register to find old Salvation Army friends. Tell which Salvation Army corps you have attended in the past and now. Your friends will be able to find you. We've found friends we hadn't seen in thirty years within minutes after registering.


 Visit the website of

The War College of The Salvation Army

in Vancouver, Canada

Just 120 miles or so north of The Seattle Temple Corps.


 Tell your Salvation Army friends about this website. Chapter Ten about our Seattle Temple Corps Experience is going to be very interesting, but you have to read every chapter in order to understand Chapter 10. You won't be disappointed.


View Sign View View My Guestbook


Webmaster : Dan Ross drdan71@aol.com



Back To Your Family Tree Homepage



A History of the Belleville Citadel Corps in London, Ontario, Canada

To see the official Belleville Citadel hisotry webpage with pictures, click here.

(These excerpts are taken from a multimedia presentation at Belleville Corps' 100th anniversary celebration in September, 1983. Components of the entire presentation - text, music & slides - are kept at the George Scott Railton Heritage Centre in Toronto, Canada)

.....The colours of William Booth's army were first carried to Belleville in September of 1883, a full 16 months after Canada's first corps opened in London, Ontario; and 10 months after this first Officers Council was held in Toronto. Many of those pictured here were instrumental in getting this, the 10th corps of the Salvation Army off the ground: Thomas Moore (with full beard in the centre), who oversaw the early work of the Army in Canada; (to the left of him) his daughter who assisted in opening Belleville Corps; Nellie Ryerson and Emma Churchill (2nd and 3rd from the left respectively in the second row) Belleville's first Corps Officers; Capt Mottershead (top row 4th from the right) who would become Belleville's third commanding officer; and Abby Thompson (bottom right) popular officer who opened Kingston Corps, then Divisional Headquarters for the area that included Belleville. The photo also shows Addie and Ludgate (3rd from the left and far right respectively, top row), whose colourful story is much intertwined with the early days of this Division. Capt. Wass (hand on Maj. Moore's shoulder) would have been one of the first Army officers to arrive in Belleville. Met by Rev. William Stacy, a Congregational Church minister, as he stepped from the train on Sept. 12, 1883, Capt. Wass inspected a number of available properties in search of one suitable to serve as barracks. Metropolitan Hall, formerly an opera house, which stood north of the four corners at Campbell St., was secured at a monthly rental of $13. There, on an upper floor, arrangements were made to "open fire" on the city of Belleville on Sept. 23, 1883.

Nellie Ryerson, 18-year-old daughter of a New Jersey preacher, converted to salvationism a mere 13 months earlier at the urging of Capt. Joe Ludgate, with probably not more than eight weeks preparation for officership, was appointed to take command of Belleville Corps with Lieutenant Emma Churchill.

First meetings were scheduled for 11 a.m., 3 and 7 p.m. each preceded one-half hour earlier by open-air gatherings, probably at Market Square. Nightly meetings continued through the following week. Admission to the Hall was 10 cents. And, on the following Sunday a 7 a.m. knee-drill was added as an official meeting.

The Army was well received. A favourable press, popular officers, a population that regarded religion as stale and remote from the realities of everyday living, a number of supportive clergymen from other denominations, all aided in the early growth of the Army in Belleville.

Overcoming controversy about the architectural fitness of old Metropolitan Hall for public gatherings, the mischievous efforts of a few detractors, the opposition of old established churches, and, last but not least, the unfortunate death of a woman attending an early meeting who mistook an unguarded elevator shaft for a stair well, the Army counted over 100 soldiers on its rolls in the first six months here.

All Army meetings were well attended - the Army was known to put on a good show; for example, the Hallelujah Wedding of Capt. Ryerson to Army pioneer, Joe Ludgate. Ludgate had been a foundry worker in Belleville before moving to London, Ontario and meeting Jack Addie. He had been Nellie Ryerson's spiritual mentor, and had filled in for Nellie at meetings when frequent flare-ups of a mysterious illness during her short stay here forced Capt. Ryerson to seek treatment at a New York hospital. The Intelligencer of January 30, 1884 contained a lengthy account of that wedding, oddly enough held at Bridge St. Methodist Church (now Bridge St. United), since the Army of that day was recognized only as a movement, not a church, and officers were not ordained to perform legal marriages. Early friend of the Army, William Stacy, officiated. Over 1000 paid admissions witnessed the two-hour spectacle. Another 4000 outside cheered the blessed couple on their way to a reception at the new City Hall. And the Ludgates promptly farewelled to the U.S. territory (Joe later serving as chaplain to the United States Army), leaving Capt. Annie Hassen, for years credited with opening the work here, in command.

Hallelujah Weddings were common in the early days. In 1912, Belleville's 57th commanding officer, Ensign William Hamilton, was also married in a '10-cents-a-head' wedding. The only reason to mention this wedding is to point out that 57 commanding officers, not counting assistant officers, in the first 29 years was not an unusual turnover or sign of instability among early Army leaders. Rather, it seems to have been a deliberate practice designed to keep interest and enthusiasm high, and was typical for the day. In fact, Belleville Corps changed officers four times a year in each of 1896, 1899 and 1902. Three officers a year was better than average. Few lasted an entire year; and only one ever served two stints here....

......In 1886, during the tenure of Capt. William McIntyre, who later became Territorial Commander for the Central U.S., Belleville Corps moved into its first permanent barracks. A parcel of land, lot #28 on Pinnacle St., deeded to the Army from William Bleeker at a cost of $550, would be their home for the next 83 years.....At a cost estimated to be close to $3400, a barracks (the first of two to occupy the site) was erected. With a red and white brick front, a 30-ft circular ceiling in the centre, seating capacity for 400 salvationists, heated by 2 box coal stoves and lit by gas from a meter that consumed quarters, this hall was opened by a visiting entourage from the Territorial War Office in Kingston on May 24, 1886. In 1887, a well-liked officer by the name of Gideon Miller took command of the now 130 uniformed soldiers that made up Belleville Corps. He was assisted by Capt. Jettick, a colourful character reputed to have taken a cow with him to Officers' Council in Toronto that year, a gift from a local patron to the Toronto Home of Rest. Capt. Jettick left Belleville Corps before his term here was up to tour North America with an all-star baseball team.

The external facade, as well as the interior of the barracks underwent a number of changes during the ensuing years until 1939 when, following a lengthy and at times contentious dispute with headquarters over what sums of money were retained in Belleville' property account (Corps Treasurer, B. W. Brown, even threatening resignation if clarification was not forthcoming) the old building was demolished in July, 1939 to make way for a second barracks on the site. Local contractor and former songster leader Thomas Adams built the new hall and had it ready for opening on Dec. 9, 1939. In the intervening months, services continued above a store on Front St. A fire under the band room in 1947 destoyed 14 instruments and scorched music that is still in use today. The building was eventually sold to the city in 1969 and continues to serve Bellevillians as the home of the local theatre guild. Cramped space, particularly for expanding Young People's activities, dictated the move to property on Victoria Ave. under Capt. June Dwyer. Sod was turned in November of 1967. A song to commemorate the opening of the new hall in 1969 was composed by former Belleville bandsman, Gen. Arnold Brown. That building was sold in June, 1999.

........One of the things most closely identified with the Salvation Army here and everywhere is its bands. It is uncertain when banding began at Belleville Corps. A newspaper report from August, 1884 claimed that $17 had been raised for the purchase of band instruments. Recollections by some of a Charles Smith who instructed beginners, and a bandmaster Jack Hughes who came from Kingston in 1884, and later returned, could not be substantiated. By 1906, however, the band was in full operation......David Wardle is remembered by most as Belleville's first bandmaster.....Mr. Wardle and his family arrived in Belleville on June 10th of that year, having left behind the collieries of Chesterton, England. The story goes that he had applied to become an R.C.M.P. constable and was on his way to their Winnipeg headquarters when met in Toronto by a Capt. William Patterson, who had been C.O. here in 1893. Capt. Patterson informed Mr. Wardle that Belleville Corps was looking for a bandmaster, a position at which he had had experience at North Chesterton. Given lodging by then Corps Treasurer, John Consaul, and obtaining employment at the lock factory which stood next to the old Pinnacle St. hall, Mr. Wardle decided to stay, and was Belleville's bandmaster until shortly before his death in 1950.....

.......1949 saw another ex-patriot collier assume leadership of the band. Jack Green, already for 20 years a Belleville bandsman, and bandsman in Wales before that, who had emigrated to Canada in 1928, won a gold medal for cornet solo at the 1929 C.N.E., been a member of the 1930's instrumental quartet (with good friend Gen. Arnold Brown) and vocal octet, leader of a 50-voice chorus and numerous other musical groups, had served a full apprtenticeship before becoming not only Belleville's bandmaster, but also mid-Ontario's divisional bandmaster.....He retired as Belleville's bandmaster in 1968..... In 1969, the baton passed to bandmaster Gord Grainger....[then, in 1987 to bandmaster John Kelsey.....and in 2000 to Dave Pearson.]

.......Songster brigades in Belleville date back to about 1911 when Bandmaster Wardle reportedly organized a group of 7 singers, all by the name of Robinson - five girls from one family, and a brother and sister from another, into the first ever Belleville songster brigade. Charles Robinson became the group's first leader, but apparently not for long as he left to become an officer. Mac Parks took over the brigade for awhile; but when he moved to St. Catherines, Thomas Adams became leader and was leader until about 1930......The songster baton then passed to Stan Lessels [sometime before 1932]......1934 saw the staging of the first annual "Songster Festival" by the Belleville brigade, from all accounts an outstanding show that was never repeated! When Mr. Lessels became Corps Sargeant-Major he handed over the reigns to Bert Wood who had emigrated from England in 1952....he then to Gord Grainger, then Jack Hatfield, and Ron Lessels. [Art Fudge led the brigade in the mid-eighties, then Sue Pearson has led since the early nineties.]

In 1916....this building on Station St known as "The Branch", shown after it was lifted and given a new front, served as a Y. P. Hall and the beginnings of a Sunday School outreach that continues to this day.....

The Home League, one of Belleville Corps' most successful ministries, was begun in 1916 by Miss Bessie Humphries, who since 1914 had organized mothers' meetings at the Corps and so she naturally became Belleville Corps' first Home League Secretary, in addition to being YPSM at The Branch. Upon her untimely death in 1918 she was succeeded by Emma Brown....Mrs. Burke.....was first Assistant Home League Secretary....and Mrs. Naylor was first Home League Treasurer.....In 1952, under Capt. Fred Brightwell, the League of Mercy was inaugurated with Mrs. Arthur Breach, who had been Home League Secretary since 1945, assuming the added responsibility of first League of Mercy Secretary.


History of the Salvation Army Doughnuts of WWI

The popularity that came to The Salvation Army as a result of its overseas work during World War I was greatly out of proportion to the quantity - though not to the quality - of its service. [The entire overseas assignment of officers was 241 men and women, with supplemental workers bringing the total to about 500 individuals. These were backed-up by 268 members in the United States.] In France the Salvation army won the affection of the doughboy and the gratitude and respect of the whole nation, yet the spirit of those Salvationists who went to France was no different from those who stayed in America and ran slum nurseries, homes for destitute men and women, or other similar programs. But the eyes of the nation were turned to France; the thoughts of the nation were with its men on the battlefields; and there millions of Americans learned of the spirit of the Salvation Army for the first time.

The Salvation Army won its recognition during World War I for its work overseas. A happy choice for director of war work in France was Lieutenant Colonel William S. Barker, who left New York with Adjutant Bertram Rodda on June 30, 1917, to survey the situation in France. Armed with a letter of recommendation from Joseph P. Tumulty, President Wilson's secretary, Barker was received by the American Ambassador to France, who arranged for him to see General Pershing.

Evangeline Booth
Meanwhile, in the United States, preparations were underway to follow the boys overseas. Evangeline Booth, National Commander of The Salvation Army, borrowed $25,000 to finance the beginning of the work, and later another $100,000 was borrowed from International Headquarters. Financial support for Salvation Army war work was slow at the beginning; but, as the Commander said, "It is only a question of our getting to work in France and the American public will see that we have all the money we want." {Eventually, over $12.5 million would be contributed for their work.]

Colonel Barker cabled from France to send over some lassies. Commander Evangeline Booth was greatly surprised but, having confidence in Barker, she included some carefully selected women officers in the first group sent to France. The work of the "Sallies" justified Barker's wisdom in making the request.

The first group of Salvation army officers to join the AEF left New York on the "Espagne" on August 12, 1917. Six men, three women, and a married couple formed the party of eleven, all from the Eastern Department. A second party of eleven, that sailed on September 13, was composed mainly of officers from the Western Department. Each Salvation Army officer accepted for war service in France was carefully screened. It was determined at the beginning to restrict the number to be sent overseas and to keep the quality of the highest. Not one hint of scandal was ever associated a Salvation Army lassie in France, although in nearly all cases the girls were subject to a constant adoration from thousands of homesick boys that might have turned their heads.

The Salvation Army in France first went to work in the area of the First Division. The first party landed in France on August 22, 1917, and work on the first hut began on September 1st. The first "hutment," as it was called, was a long sectional building, 40 by 150 feet, with ten windows on each side. It had a staff of five men and six lassies, all of whom were musicians, who gave concerts and conducted song services in addition to operating the canteen. The Salvationists conducted Bible classes, but their building was available to other denominations or fraternal orders. In it Jewish services were held, and on one occasion the Loyal Order of Moose conducted an initiation. A clothes-mending service was provided by the girl officers.

This first hut would multiply phenomenally by a factor of 400 over the next fifteen months. The tiny group of Salvationists and co-workers would set up that number of huts, hostels and rest rooms, all as nearly like home as human ingenuity could make them, some right at the front lines.

It was the doughnut, however, that caught the doughboy's fancy. To learn how the doughnut we now know came to be, visit the Doughboy Center's feature article:

Doughnut! The Official Story

Although the doughnut became the symbol of The Salvation Army in France, pies and cakes were also baked by the lassies in crude ovens, and lemonade was served to hot and thirsty troops as well. It was not only the delicious home cooking but also the spirit with which it was served that captivated the men. The simple secret was that the Salvationists were serving not only the soldiers but God, and they brought to mind thoughts of home and of the people there. At The Salvation Army hut the men could not only bring their uniforms to be mended; they could also bring their problems to share. As buttons were sewed on, a brief message of help was offered.

Soldiers in France frequently had more money that opportunities to spend it. To discourage gambling and the purchase of wines and liquors, and to aid families in the United States, The Salvation Army officers encouraged the soldiers to take advantage of the Salvation Army's money-transfer system. In those pre allotment days soldiers would give their money to a Salvation Army officer, who would enter the sum on a money order blank and send it to National Headquarters in New York. From there it went to the corps officers nearest the soldier's home, who would then deliver the money in person to the soldier's family or relatives. Often cases of need were discovered through these visits, and other Salvation Army services might be made available to help those in distress. The money-transfer plan also worked in reverse on occasions when friends sent money to soldiers overseas.

One of the things that the American soldiers marveled at was the fact that the Salvation Army followed them right to the front. The women as well as the men went where the troops happened to be, and often were in danger from shells and gas.

Enthusiasm for the Salvation Army spread like wildfire through the AEF in France, from the lowliest doughboy to General Pershing himself. The stories of the work of the Salvation Army in France first reached America through the letters of the men "over there," and then through the stories of war correspondents. A special correspondent of the New York Times wrote:

With the American Army in France -

When I landed in France I didn't think so much of the Salvation Army; after two weeks with the Americans at the front I take my hat off to the Salvation Army. The American soldiers [also] take off their hats to the Salvation Army, and when the memoirs of this war come to be written the doughnuts and apple pies of the Salvation Army are going to take their place in history.

Received with an attitude of skepticism in the fall of 1917, the Salvation Army soon became the most popular organization in France. There were other agencies at work, and with these... there was no open competition and much cooperation. On one occasion when a Salvation Army canteen ran out of supplies with a long line of soldiers still unserved, a YMCA truck drove up...and continued serving where the Salvation Army truck had left off.

Many newspaper articles attest to the Army's popularity. As one paper editorialized:

Few war organizations have escaped criticism of some sort, but there is, so far, one shining exception, and that is the Salvation Army. Every soldier and civilian who has been brought into contact with its workers sing their praises with enthusiasm. Wherever they have been they have "delivered the goods" -- they have proved 100% efficient as moral and material helpers.

Financial support for the Salvation Army's war program came with a rush. A plea for a million dollars, endorsed by President Wilson and Secretary of War Newton Baker in December, 1917 was soon answered. In 1918, the Salvation Army joined the YMCA, YWCA, War Camp Community Service, National Catholic War Council, Jewish Welfare Board, and the American Library Association in a United War Work Campaign to raise $170 million of which the Salvation Army was to receive $3.5 million. This drive was underway when the armistice was signed on November 11, 1918.

Salvation Army war work in [Europe] did not end with the armistice. Hospital visitation and nursing aid continued after the war, as did other services for the troops in France and later in occupied Germany. The Salvationists were frequently given a commission to get a watch repaired or to buy a Christmas or birthday gift for some loved one. They furnished paper and pens and urged soldiers to write home. They helped the troops returning home by sending telegrams announcing their expected return date and time and even helping families re-unite at busy docks.

Sources and thanks: Sources: Susan Mitchem, Director of the Archives at Salvation Army Headquarters, provided all the content and photos. MH

To See this page with photos, click here.

Dan Ross Bonna Ross Jordana Ross Dan & Bonna Ross Dan and Bonna Ross drdan71, drdan71@aol.com cornucopiagenealogica 09/30/03

Make a Family Tree on Ancestry.com - It's Free!! Click on the banner below:

Banner - Ancestry.com